Monday, March 13, 2023

Thinking About Read-Aloud #SOL23


I have been thinking about read-aloud lately. 

Maybe it's because on Wednesday, I read the last chapter in our class novel, and every student was either following along in their books or were listening intently as I read every word. The room was silent; it was wonderful.

Maybe it's because I listened to Donalyn Miller Friday night and her words stuck with me: "We don't age out of read-alouds. If we did, audiobooks would not be on the rise for adults."

Maybe it's because I listened to Neal Shusterman Sunday morning, and he told a story about how he was a summer camp counselor, and the way he got kids to settle down for bed was by telling them stories. As he was telling teachers from across the country his story about his thoughts and ideas behind writing Challenger Deep and Scythe, the entire audience was hanging on his every word, as if we were the kids at camp.

Or maybe, it's because of all three.

 

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

11 comments:

  1. Three wonderful reasons to be thinking about read alouds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the repetition of maybe in this post, as well as the reflections that followed the maybes. YES to readalouds, no matter what age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely in agreement with the importance of read-alouds for all ages. Love your three "maybes." #1 is so rewarding - when students are right there with you, hanging on to those all important words. It creates such a community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful reasons for keeping read aloud! Now what was the read aloud that kept a roomful of 6th graders silent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great one! I read it to my daughter's 4th grade class.

      Delete
  5. I truly believe for some students its the read alouds that motivate them to read on their own and learn the magic of a story. I am currently reading, "The Thief of Always, " to my fifth graders and they are all memorized. There is NOTHING like a good read aloud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love read alouds. Don't think I'll ever stop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read alouds are so fun! 5th grade is reading “Thief Of Always” and I don’t think they would follow along as well if they didn’t hear it from a fluent reader. It is just as important for us to listen to stories as it is to read them. - Aida Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read alouds were a favorite all of my teaching years (Donalyn a great inspiration and favorite authors, too). As a volunteer I am still doing read alouds… it actually was my condition for volunteering… I would base my time with the students reading and writing about it. No drills, worksheets, and above all- no testing if test prep.
    Diane Anderson

    ReplyDelete