Sunday, March 26, 2023

Spring Break Recap #SOL23


It's Saturday night as I write this, and I am staring at a blank screen with no ideas and no slices written ahead of time, which I tend to do.

I am a little sad because it is my last night of spring break. The weather this week was pretty crappy, and I realized about mid-week that I had the wrong date for our state testing on our planning calendar and had to cut five days of instruction. Not exactly how I wanted my week to go.

To try and turn disappointment into something positive, I decided to name the 10 best things from this week.

  1. staying up late--I'm a night owl and can't do this during the school week.
  2. not setting my alarm.
  3. making bookmarks and sending some out to friends far away.
  4. trying a new technique splattering ink on my collages and liking it.
  5. having a clean house.
  6. shopping with my daughter Megan--and actually finding something!
  7. watching basketball games.
  8. the sun warming things up enough to grill today.
  9. playing online Euchre with my sister and nephew who live in Tennessee.
  10. starting a new writing community called Solace & Connection that is centered around nature! (You are welcome to check it out and join us!)
Looking at this list, I realize that although the weather was anything but spring-like this week, I do feel rested and rejuvenated and ready to greet my students on Monday!

 

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

11 comments:

  1. Feeling rested at the end of spring break is a big win. We’ve had snow every day during spring break. I keep reminding myself kids are easier to handle when the weather is colder. Still, I long for warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No alarm and sun make already a huge difference in a day. Savour the Sunday before returning to school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to find the bright sides of the break! Weather can put a damper on so many things but not your willingness to see the good in your break! Thanks for sharing! Love Solace and Connection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fruitful spring break. Looking forward to your new writing community site and wondering about those bookmarks you make. Do you paint them? That's an idea as I have many bookmark sized strips of watercolor paper. Enjoy today...make it your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What day did you write your post about the bookmarks? I wanted to go back and reread it. I have made several bookmarks with counted-cross stitch, but I want to try the collage bookmarks you shared. Also, I love that you had some great moments this week, and I am always looking to play euchre. It's fun finding commonalities with bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my opinion, rest and rejuvenation are the most essential parts of break! It looks like you accomplished this. We have one more full week of school before our spring break. It seems SO far away this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you feel rejuvenated! I am just starting my spring break and hoping for decent weather (there is sunshine today! I am eager to get out for a walk and look for signs of spring) but most of all hoping to end the week feeling restored and ready for the mad dash to the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you had a wonderful spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leigh Anne, what a joy-filled ending to this post. I love how the despair--blank screen, crappy weather, wrong date, a little sad, disappointment--turned into gratitude and positivity. "I do feel rested and rejuvenated and ready to greet my students on Monday!" Indeed! Have a great week. I'm going now to check out your new writing community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love how you've turned sad circumstances into gratitude, particularly through the use of listing.
    You make bookmarks?? How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you looked for the positive in your week and that you feel rested and rejuvenated. One more week until break for me- counting down the days!

    ReplyDelete