Wednesday, March 8, 2023

He knows; he always knows #SOL23

"He knows; he always knows."  is a line from the movie, A Christmas Story. My family watches the 24-hour marathon starting on Christmas Eve and running through Christmas night and can recite most of this movie.

But these words have taken on a different meaning over the last few years.

The other night my husband made a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up just a few items. He comes back with a large bag of Oreos--one of my daughter's favorite cookies.

They talk about Oreos, laugh about Oreos, put Oreos on their eyes. You know, those stupid little things "adults" do.

It wasn't long after the Oreos were eaten that Megan was scrolling through Facebook. And what should appear, an ad for Oreos. She never searched for Oreos or typed in Oreos on her phone, but there they were.

So yes, he knows; he always knows, and to me, that is very worrisome.


 

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

9 comments:

  1. The ads that pop up, almost immediately, are creepy! Big Brother moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so scary! That has happened at my house too! And nothing is simpler and more innocent than eating Oreos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you were able to enjoy the Oreos before the creepiness began! e does tech infringe on our lives? And if we are creeped out as adults, what is the impact for the younger folks in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creepy! I think we've all had that experience now of our devices suddenly showing us ads for things we've been talking about supposedly in the privacy of our own homes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get it. Sometimes I swear I haven't even talked about something, just thought about it and those ads show up. Definitely creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know the eerie feeling when technology seems to read your mind. Sometimes the ad offerings can be puzzling too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems as if some systems are linked. The way social media reacts to some conversations is very spooky. As soon as it is mentioned it appears on your screen, This line with its repetition is effective, "So yes, he knows; he always knows, and to me, that is very worrisome."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a Christmas Story! I agree with the previous posters, what a creepy experience. That has happened to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a turn your post took- from cherished family fun to a bit of darkness. I didn't expect that but it is worrisome for sure.

    ReplyDelete