Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Popcorn Night #SOL23

A bowl. 

A snack. 

A memory.

Popcorn was a favorite family snack when we were growing up. It may have been because money was tight, and this snack was inexpensive and stretched a long way. It may have been because it was my mother's favorite.

Mom always popped the corn on the stove top and placed it in glass bowls, served with hot, melted butter and a dash of salt, tapping the bowl with her hand to distribute it. I still remember sitting beside her on the couch and the sound of her wedding ring hitting the side of the bowl.

My little sister was born when I was nine years old. As she became a toddler and when it would be popcorn night, mom would nibble off the end pieces, leaving the soft, round pieces for Crissy. Mom would hold them cupped in her hand on her lap and give her a few pieces at a time. 

I still eat my popcorn this same way.

A bowl.

A snack.

A memory--I wonder if this is one Mom remembers.


 

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

6 comments:

  1. My daughter and her husband have movie night every Friday night with popcorn. They are making memories and traditions. I love how you used sparse separated lines like popcorn for this post. My mother has Alzheimer's so I relate well to your wondering. It's curious to me the things she does remember when she doesn't seem to remember my father at all. They were married 60 years. We should have a zoom support group. We could share funny stories and the grief that comes from losing them a little at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so moved by your sharing this sweet simple memory. The detail of the wedding ring tapping the glass bowl, to distribute the salt. And the unexpected way she nibbled the hard pieces off for your little sister! I hope bringing this memory to your writing helps you during this painful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also moved by your post. What a precious memory! Your love for this time and of your mother shine through this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many themes in this slice. Love - motherly love, growing up and change. It shares the memories we build in the little things we do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bowl, a snack, a memory! We had popcorn on Sunday nights. I love the detail of hearing your mom's ring hit the side of the bowl. I recently texted daughter that we were having popcorn and a show. She and her husband both texted back that Ollie couldn't have it yet. I knew that! He was having pretzels. Guess I'll have to put that detail in next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my most cherished snapshots is a picture of my 3 siblings and I lined up on the floor in front of the couch with Dad, each with a bowl of popcorn during the annual showing of Wizard if Oz. Of course, you have to imagine Mom, popcorn maker and picture taker.

    ReplyDelete