Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Eclipse 2024 #SOL23

What are you doing on Monday, April 8, 2024 at 3:04 PM? On a normal day, I would be getting ready for dismissal. Just like I do on every school day.

But on this particular day, I won't be in school. Instead, I will be watching the solar eclipse. Me and about 200,000 other people in my small town of 16,000!

We are right smack dab in the middle of the path with 4 minutes and 6 seconds of totality--the longest in the state of Indiana. Because of our location, we are expecting quite the crowd. Schools are canceled due to the expected increase of traffic throughout the county. Our county has formed a committee to manage the logistics. I mean think about how are all these people going to eat and sleep and go to the bathroom?!? 

I know a lot of preparation is happening now, and it's a year away. The next solar eclipse in the United States will be in 20 years, but it takes 375 years for an eclipse to happen in the same location. I am excited, yet a little bit nervous, to be part of this once in a lifetime event.






 

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh what a fantastic day to anticipate! I'm sure all the VRBOs in your area are probably booked - - and I, too, would be worried about the deluge of people. This will be an exciting part of history to see unfold....well, observe unfold since you might not be able to see in the dark! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also live in the path of totality. Our schools are closed that day for the same reasons. I’m a bit anxious about the amount of people predicted to come to Rochester. Exciting but a bit uneasy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! That's so cool and so crazy, Leigh Anne! I bet people are AirBNBing their homes for this, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is exciting. An event of a lifetime for your town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be an event for sure! My husband went with a friend and camped for the last total eclipse. I didn't want any part of the madness. I watched it with a friend from her deck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so interesting! And there's a county committee?

    ReplyDelete