Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Collaging: A New Hobby #SOL23

Several years ago, I became a member of the #100DaysofNotebooking Facebook group, which was created by a friend of mine, Michelle Haseltine. It was a challenge to notebook for 100 days. They didn't have to be consecutive; they just had to be written.

I suffered from notebook envy. I loved the colorful artwork, doodles, and creativity writers added to their pages. I knew I could never do that. 

Or so I thought.

At some point, I came across journal pages that used collage--literally ripping up and gluing together torn pieces of paper. I could do that.

It wasn't as easy at it looked. And when I look at my early notebook pages, I realize just how bad I was. But I was determined to get better at this. I began to follow more people on Instagram and watched their videos on YouTube. It got a little easier.

I began buying supplies from craft stores (buying paper became an addiction!) and looking for ephemera like old books, music, magazines, and letters from thrift shops and antique stores. It has been almost two years since I started, and it has become my favorite hobby and personal therapy session.

Now, I am making collage bookmarks. People have told me that I should find places to sell them. But for now, I will just enjoy making them and giving them away to my reading friends.



 

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I like to collage, too. It helps me focus and making something lovely gives one a sense of accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are BEAUTIFUL!! Yes, by all means sell them. I, too have recently learned how important creative practices are for your soul, as well as the positive impact of art on your brain. I am trying to incorporate daily creative practices, and it's funny when I don't create/have some art I really "feel" it. I am trying out collage, too. Bravo! Love your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your collage bookmarks are totally exquisite! A hobby and therapy rolled together with a finished product at the end. That's a triple win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely fabulous. Artsy bookmarks - double joy. (P.S I joined your party today)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful! So glad you found a new hobby to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh Ann, I am completely inspired. Fantastic bookmarks, they are all remarkable! I've been cross-stitching bookmarks for friends, but I think I will try this next. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh Anne, they are gorgeous. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I need to put some time aside to learn more and do some collage pages. I think my students would like them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have admired your creations for a while. They are wonderful! I would like to try this too, some time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES, yes! Sell them! These are amazing. I'll bet your local bookstore would sell them too. Have you ever read any of Natalie Goldberg's books - Fool's Gold I believe is the one I'm thinking of, where she collages in nature. This reminds me of that. I love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leigh Anne, wow, your bookmarks are amazing. I love to see how much you grew and changed in just two years of research and practice. It doesn't surprise me that this is your favorite new hobby. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leigh Anne, your collage work is so lovely. Linda Mitchell at Poetry Friday has been working to perfect her collaging skills also. I would love to develop that skill so I may check out videos.

    ReplyDelete