Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Reflective Teaching Challenge - Improving My Evaluation


Starting a new grade level gives me an excellent opportunity to truly reflect on my teaching and to continue to grow.  Thank you to Teach Thought for hosting the 30 Day Blogging Challenge focused on reflection.  Find more information here on how you can join other teachers for September Refections.

September 3 -Mention 1 "observation" area that you would like to improve on for your teacher evaluation.

I taught 4th grade for seven years before I moved to 6th grade.  The biggest change that I have found is the amount of time for instruction each day.  Now, I teach language arts which combines both writing and reading in a 48 minute period.

I came from a 90 minute reading block and a 45 minute writing workshop.  I was comfortable with my routines and how I taught both areas.  My day ran smoothly because my students knew what to do.  I taught mini-lessons, small groups and individual conferences while my students were engaged in authentic reading and writing.  I loved every minute of my day!  

Now, I am lucky to complete a full lesson without forgetting a part or running out of time before I am finished.  It is extremely difficult to get both reading and writing instruction in during a week's time.

I know this is an area in which I will need to focus.  Because of this, I have been reading many professional development books geared toward middle school and teaching workshop at this grade level.  It will be a continual learning process for me.

Hopefully I will have plenty of time to finesses my instruction before my first evaluation!

1 comment:

  1. Leigh Anne, I've missed you. I've enjoyed catching up with you a little by reading some of your recent posts.

    I'm having some of the same growing pains in 7th grade. My time frame is similar and 48 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to fit it all in. I don't want to part with anything though, so it's hard to decide what is a priority. (I think it's all important.) I'm also learning chrome books too. My kids had them last year, so they are more well versed than I am.

    I'd love to swap ideas of what's working for you and to share things I'm trying. Let's schedule a phone date soon.

    I've been so out of the loop. I got back in the country and started work 3 days later. Feels like I haven't stopped. I can't wait to get back into a routine and reconnect with everyone. So glad I've been able to read a little bit about what's going on with you.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete