Tuesday, June 6, 2023

A Morning Chuckle


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for creating this space to share my stories.

Sitting at my dining room table eating breakfast and reading the online edition of the newspaper, I hear screaming. I can tell it is one of the two young neighbor girls, but it isn't a "give me back my toy" scream. Or a "wee this is fun" scream.

It is a scream of terror. 

I jump up and open the door. I listen trying to understand what is going on.

The screaming continues, but all of sudden I hear the mother say, "It's not going to hurt you." 

I peer through the white pines that create a border between our two yards, and I see what is creating the fear.

A chicken.

Last night, our neighbors brought home chickens, and the chicken coop is between our two yards. I saw the girls out talking to the chickens, peering into the "chicken house" and taking a picture of their "first day" with the chickens. All of this mixed in with squeals and giggles.

But morning brought a different scene. I know nothing about chickens, so I am guessing this was the first morning for feeding them and maybe gathering eggs. 

And I don't know who was more afraid:  Violet or the new chicken!

4 comments:

  1. The scream of anxious anticipation. The girls must be excited and nervous. Sweet post! Thanks for sharing this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interpreting screams requires perception. The opening of your piece invited us in. Birds are oddly frightening up close or in an unexpected space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the idea of a sweet chicken versus the getting close to a real live one! Great first two paragraphs, as you evaluate what you are hearing. Great closing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Things and perceptions change as circumstances change. Love the way you build this piece.

    ReplyDelete