I am participating in the Two Writing Teachers Annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge.
I have been reading Betty Before X, a story written by the daughter of Malcolm X. The book "illuminates four important years in her mother's childhood."
Betty lived with a family who encouraged her to not look at the negatives in life but, to "look for the good and praise it." Betty, who is trying to come to terms with her "unwantedness" from her mother, begins to count her blessings.
Today, I tell the story of my day in blessings:
- A warm, sunny day
- A few quiet moments before students arrive
- A lesson on colons
- Shared laughs with colleagues
- A principal who respects our time and keeps meetings short
- Short lines in Walmart
- A new Moleskin notebook
- A writing group who (hopefully) forgives me for forgetting a writing session
- A few quiet moments in an empty house
- A beautiful sunset
- Time to write
- Time to read