Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Lauren's Life Lessons


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for creating a place to share our Slice of Life.  Read more slices or add you own here.

I am from Indiana - a state where basketball is king.  This year basketball had a queen.

This week a young girl at the age of 19, died from a non-operable brain tumor.  She was diagnosed just a few weeks after signing to play basketball for Mount Saint Joseph.  Her dream was to play one game on a college court - and she did.

With approval from the NCAA, the basketball season was moved up two weeks so that Lauren could walk on that hardwood floor and play with her teammates while family and friends watched from the stands.  She scored the first points in this year's NCAA women's basketball season.  

But the amazing part of this story is how she became a face for children with cancer.  She raised over 2 million dollars for cancer research, knowing that she would never see the day when a cure is found.  

Lauren was a fighter and a believer.  I never knew Lauren, but I kept up with her story because I come from a basketball family.  Having a daughter who played basketball and who now coaches, this story touched my heart and broke off a small piece.  I cannot even imagine what her parents and family are going through.

Last night on Twitter, I saw a picture of "Lauren's Life Lessons" which was passed out at her visitation.  Her lessons are ones that we all can learn from.



I cannot even begin to give justice to this story.  If you wish to learn more about Lauren and her amazing short life, please watch this video here.  Warning - you will need tissues.

Meanwhile, look at these life lessons.  Which ones are speaking to you today?

Find the light in every moment!

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute... what a sad sad loss. LOVE Lauren's life lessons. I'm with you - FIND the LIGHT in EVERY moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this heartbreaking story. I hope her family will someday see this tribute written by someone who never knew Lauren but learned from her and shared her message and story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute, Leigh Ann. My family of origin is in Cincinnati and I was there recently, so I am very aware of Lauren. What a role model she is to all of us as to how to LIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought tears to my eyes. It really made me step back and evaluate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - thank you for sharing Lauren's story. This is just amazing. I will at some point watch that video, but it was enough to just read your post to bring me to tears. A touching story and her life lessons are powerful and true. Live in the moment. It's hard to do sometimes in our busy lives, but a story like Lauren's quickly reminds me to live in the moment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a fellow Hoosier, it's nice to hear about inspirational life lessons for a change! Lauren's story is truly inspirational. Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so many wise words from one so young. Leave nothing unsaid to those you love holds special meaning of me right now. Daughter left yesterday, loved every moment we had together and can't wait for her return next month when she'll be moving her permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. So many resonate with me today. Be selfless. Find something to fight for. I could choose them all. What a beautiful life and look how many lives she is touching because of your slice. Thank you Leigh Anne for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those life lessons are so true. We need reminders everyday! May you rest in peace Lauren! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to hear stories like this, so sad for all her family, for this young woman. What a lovely tribute you wrote for all of us to hear about her story, Leigh Anne. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you wrote about Lauren. I wondered how well her story was known outside of Indiana. What a brave young woman! I saw her in one of her last interviews, when she was struggling more, and I found her attitude so full of strength and inspiration. I hope her family can hold onto all that good in her. Her life lessons are important for all of us.

    ReplyDelete