Thursday, April 9, 2015

Mourning Whistle


April is National Poetry Month, and I am celebrating with many other bloggers by writing and sharing poetry.  Please check out the hashtag #digipoetry on Twitter to find more poems written by  writers in our blogging community.  Please consider joining us.  Write when you can, share when you write.  It is that simple.

Today I share a Fibonacci poem which is based on a series of numbers where the next number is found by adding up the two numbers before it.  For example, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8...  Instead of using syllables, I decided to try the number words used in each line.

Tonight I am sitting on my porch listening to a train go through town; its whistle sounding like a cry of mourning.


A
train's
mourning whistle 
fills the air
from a far away distance,
sadly crying out to those willing to listen
as it slowly travels from town to town toward its endless journey west.



4 comments:

  1. Love it! Can't wait to try one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of a train whistle. We have a train track that crosses our road...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think of the train's morning whistle, but its mourning whistle brings new meaning. I'm wondering if it tires of traveling and only passing through the places it goes.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete