Thursday, April 2, 2015

Small Steps - Book Spine Poem


April is National Poetry Month, and I am celebrating with many other bloggers by writing and sharing poetry.  Please check out the hashtag #digipoetry on Twitter - thank you Margaret Simon - to find more poems written by our blogging community. 

When I was in a child, especially in high school, I wrote poetry.  I think sometimes poetry and that age group seem to be a perfect fit - lots of emotions!

As an adult, writing poetry seems to be harder for me.  Putting my thoughts and emotions into words is not as simple as it seems.  Putting my words out there for others to read takes courage.  Many people like Margaret, Elsie, and Linda to name just a few, make it look so easy.  Taking this challenge is a small step for me.

 Today I tried a book spine poem.  It just happened to also capture my feelings about this challenge.


courage for beginners
as simple as it seems
it only looks easy
small steps

7 comments:

  1. I connected with this poem because it mirrors my feelings about writing poetry. Thank you for inspiring me and encouraging me to take those "small steps" on my poetry-writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Small Steps"
    That says it ALL!! I have tried and tried spine poems and I always fall short. Sigh... Maybe I'll try again! Thanks for this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found just the right words here, Leigh Anne. Terrific poem that does share such feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all my writing is small steps. I like the message of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with several others! A terrific book spine poems. And for the record, I have never created a successful book spine poem. I think they are WAY harder than regular poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been awhile since I've tried a book spine poem. Think I may need to try it soon. Looks like you found the right words and take those small steps, right? I love this simple poem as it is packed with so much meaning! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Michelle's comment - a simple poem that is rich with meaning and insight! Love this!

    ReplyDelete