Thursday, March 14, 2024

A Word Buffet 14/31

Since 2017, with the exception of 2019, I have held a March slicer party. To try and make it fun and different each year, I would ask my guests to bring something different to the party. This ranged from favorite things to favorite quotes to things in their best color. One year we even had to bring a special ID.

I have already been asked to host another party, and I think this one might just be my favorite yet, thanks to my writing friend Heather at Writing My Way!

A word buffet!

I hang out online with some amazing writing friends who love to play with words. I am a word nerd! I love finding, learning, and exploring new words. Imagine all of us slicers sitting together with our favorite notebooks and pens in hand and sharing our favorite words.  What better way to do this than with other word nerds and writers!

So, grab a notebook and pen and let's get started! Here is my addition to the word buffet:

serendipity--the occurrence of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way. I believe in serendipity, and I love to use this word in poems. Especially in a haiku (check out that syllable count!).

petrichor--the scent of rain. There is nothing like going outside and breathing deeply after a rain. I learned of this word while I participated in a poetry challenge a few years ago. It was nice to know this scent had a name.

incredulous--unable or unwilling to believe something. Have you ever had a word that kept popping up in books you were reading, like the bad penny? This is now I learned about this word and how it made my favorites list.

kaleidoscope-- a tube containing mirrors and pieces of colored glass or paper, whose reflections produce changing patterns. I love finding kaleidoscope-like images in nature. Sometimes it might take a twist, but they are there.

dandelion--a widely distributed weed in the daisy family. I love the strength of a dandelion, it's will to survive in hard times. But I mostly love this word because it is my favorite color of crayon. I was devasted when Crayola discontinued it, so I try to keep it alive in my writing.

I hope you consider joining me this month. When you have a day when ideas just aren't coming (and you KNOW you will), accept my invitation to the word buffet and write a slice sharing five of your favorite words. Just let me know you have joined, and I will include you on the guest list down below. I can't wait to see who else is coming!

Past Slicer Parties

2024 Guest List

Juliette at Gifts

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we 
share a slice of life during the month of March. 


25 comments:

  1. Thank you for this invitation! So creative and fun to read your word buffet! Is it all you can eat? I appreciate this community building slice and prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Cindy said, thanks for the invite. Your slice shows what a clever and inclusive slicer you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to joining one day! Petrichor was new to me and I often need that word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was keeping a notebook of words and I fell out of the habit. Thanks for the invitation. I love the variety of your choices. Yesterday with fellow writers we explored the word suffocate. A post is beginning to brew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh Anne, thank you for the invitation. As you say, "When you have a day when ideas just aren't coming (and you KNOW you will), accept my invitation..." Yes, indeed. I will make a note of it, and begin to gather my words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for this invitation! Looking forward to participating soon! I was so delighted when I discovered that there is a word for that metallic rain smell, and serendipity is a word I love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hook had me completely pulled in Leigh. Love your list and thank you for sharing the word buffet idea for a prompt. I'm doing it! So sorry to hear Dandelion was discontinued. I think we should all write letters of protest to Crayola.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh Anne, I love this idea. I am so excited I am going to prepare my word dish right now. Thank you for the invitation and the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I've been to a few of your March slicer parties. Such a cool, fun idea! I'm sure I'll be joining one day soon. It's serendipitous that I stopped by your post today. Thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea. I'm already drafting my Slice of word buffet words for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be back tomorrow with my words:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. You make it a fun challenge. I need time to prepare. I learne d anew word form you - I had not even heard of petrichor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My post gives examples of 3 ways to play with words in poetry: https://reflectionsontheteche.com/2024/03/19/slice-of-life-word-play/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this invitation, I would definitely love to join! I will let you know when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy to join in the Word Buffet fun. I'm surprised that I've seen petrichor, a new-to-me word three times in the past week. I had fun crafting sentences in my airport context with some of my many favorite words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finally able to join the party! Thank, Leigh Anne! https://pelicansandprose.com/2024/03/20/five-words-to-join-the-party/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leigh Anne, I have searched for your invitation so I am glad that I found it. Your Slicer Parties are always so interesting. Thanks for the new word, petrichor. It is supposed to rain this weekend so I think I shall spend time smelling the outside after the rain. I will write a slice and make sure you see it as a party gift. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joining in with some Estonian words. https://justforamonth.blogspot.com/2024/03/joining-leigh-annes-slicer-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Leigh Anne, you are always the hostess with the mostest! I can't believe I haven't made it to your blog to read and comment until now! (I've had a really tough time keeping up on reading and commenting this year!) At any rate, I'm sure I'll chime in with some words in the next week and I love your choices. What a great idea for a party! Thanks for the generous invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leigh Anne, your parties are always fun and I'm thrilled to be a part of your Word Buffet. I'm here-running in at the last second huffing and puffing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here is my contribution: https://writertammye.wordpress.com/2024/03/28/word-buffet-slicer-party-solc24-day28/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Leigh Ann - thanks for the nudge! I have 5 words to add to the buffet! Please add me to the Guest List: https://readandwritebysally.wordpress.com/2024/03/30/my-contribution-to-the-word-buffet/

    ReplyDelete
  23. How could I have missed this invitation! I love your word - petrichor - the sound of rain! Wow! I didn't know there was a word for that. Thank you for the nudge. I'm thinking...

    ReplyDelete