Monday, March 31, 2014

SOLSC #31 - Reflections Part II

Read more slices at
Two Writing Teachers

We did it!  My first Slice of Life March Challenge is in the books...or should I say on the blog!  I am so grateful for this experience and the people with whom I have shared it.

I have learned many things about writing and about myself during this month.  That is what I wish to reflect on today in Part II.

  • being a writer doesn't mean you have published a book
  • I am a better teacher of writing because I write
  • I understand when a student says they can't think of anything to write about
  • when I have an idea - write it down (You wouldn't believe all the great ideas I forgot!)
  • plan ahead
  • carry a notebook
  • I can write about hot topics
  • I can write poetry
  • I can laugh at myself
  • borrowing someone's idea is called inspiration
  • my words matter
  • being a writer simply means one who writes

As they say, all good things must come to an end.  I will miss exercising my writing muscles daily, but trying to be reflective, I have questions.  Where does this experience lead me?  Where do I go from here?

I want to continue slicing on Tuesdays and celebrating on Saturdays.  But I want my writing to grow in other ways.  My blog title is A Day in the Life of a teacher, a reader, and a writer.  I feel I write about my life as a reader and a writer, but I want to write more about my life as a teacher.  

Participating in this challenge has given me more confidence and quieted that inner critic that raises its ugly head.  I don't know if I will have much to add to the many conversations out there, but I won't know if I don't REACH

So, thank you Two Writing Teachers!  Thank you friends!  It has been a wonderful journey!

8 comments:

  1. That inner critic is a pesky creature, isn't it? Your list is so similar to what I feel about writing each day, Leigh Ann. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. I'm sure they'll be valuable additions to the conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I understand when a student says they can't think of anything to write about"-- This struck me. How many times have I thought a student was just trying to get out of writing by using this excuse?? Writer's block is real. I met him this month. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on completing the month. It's quite an accomplishment. I know writing and sharing like this makes me a better writing teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get when you say that you want to write more about my life as a teacher. I want to do that as well. we will write and work together! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to say "I am a reader, not a writer". I think I have to change that. I am going to continue with Tuesdays and Saturdays as well, but I want to explore writing with kids and how we can get them excited about writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your first SOL challenge! What a month is has been ... and I knew all along you could do it! It's quite an amazing experience! I look forward to Tuesdays and maybe more days of writing, sharing your life as a teacher! I love learning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words matter. See you on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete