Sunday, March 5, 2017

Before 11:00 ~ #sol17


I believe being a writer is one of the biggest gifts you can give to your students. ~ Stacey Shubitz


This month I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for creating a space for me to share my corner of the world.

Saturday morning greets me with sunshine, warmer temperatures, and the regular weekend routine of meal planning and grocery shopping.  Running my errands, I drive by the McDonald's, and I think that a drink and some french fries to nibble on would be nice.

I pull up to the speaker and place my order, "A medium fry and a large diet coke please."

"I'm sorry but we don't start serving lunch until 11:00."

Not paying attention to the time, I reply, "That's OK, just give me the drink then."  I used to work at McDonald's in high school, and I know the switch-over is not easy, especially when they are busy.  

But then I happen to look at the clock, and it says 10:57. Yes, 10:57.  Three minutes before 11:00 and I couldn't order french fries?  I become irritated because I look at the line and realize that it will be after 11:00 by the time the cars in front of me drive away.

I turn my radio back up, listen to the music and watch the employee run out and flip the sign from the breakfast menu to the lunch menu, you know that menu I couldn't order from before 11:00.  

I wait.  And wait.  And wait.  

When I finally get up to the window to pay, I look at my clock - 11:02.  The nice young man tells me the amount I owe and I say, "When I was at the speaker, they told me I couldn't order lunch until 11:00.  It is after 11:00, so can I order fries now?"

"Sure.  Is that all you would like to add to your order?"

"That's it, thank you," I reply and pay for my new order, you know, that lunch menu item I couldn't order before 11:00.  As I get to the next window to pick up my order, the employee tells me that they just put the fries down, and I would have to pull up and wait.  

I wait.  And wait.  And wait.

I look at my clock once more, and it says 11:17 as the young man brings me my fries.  Is it worth the 20 minute wait for an order of hot fries?

You betcha!  Those Saturday morning errands can wait.

9 comments:

  1. Ha! you never know when you'll have a slice to write, Leigh Anne, & fries to munch while writing? Amazing how people follow rules. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that McDonald's had 24 hour service. You must like the fries a lot to stay and wait. Glad they made you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe they didn't start the fries before 11:00 so they would be ready when the lunch menu kicks in. I think they owe you a free fry just for the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable! Seems those fries had to have been ready to go three minutes before lunch is served. At least it was a Saturday and you had time, although you should have gotten a refund for that long of a wait! Food for thought for next time ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to order a cheeseburger and fries at 10:30 today and got the same reply - and had the same response! Glad you had a nice Saturday morning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't order lunch before 11:00, but you can get breakfast all day??? Something is wrong with that! Glad you got your fries in the end and I agree that they are worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes! Sounds like when I've done the same thing! Glad you got your fries! I would say the fries are worth the wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMM! Nothing better than hot fries from McDonald's! I'd gladly wait twenty minutes. But their policy does seem a little weird!

    ReplyDelete