Saturday, March 11, 2017

Book Shout ~ Celebrate 2017 (nine)


I believe being a writer is one of the biggest gifts you can give to your students. ~ Stacey Shubitz


This month I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for creating a space for me to share my corner of the world.


Today I am also combining my two worlds of writing 
by celebrating my week with Ruth Ayres.  


This quote by Steven Layne has been mantra for most of my teaching experience.  I celebrate that power each and every day in my classroom. 

I have always believed in the power of read-alouds and book talks.  I know from experience that talking about books increases student motivation.  My students do not need pizza, prizes, or other rewards.  They just need a teacher who knows how to use a great book.

This year I took my book talks school wide through our morning show.  Our morning show is written, produced, and performed by our students.  I have a weekly segment called Book Shout where I give a book talk to our entire school.  

Sometimes I talk about a book, and other times students or teachers talk about one.  I believe that motivating kids to read is not the sole responsibility of the reading or language arts, but every teacher.  

When we live literate lives, we grow literate lives.

Here is a clip of my debut show, explaining why teachers who read are so important.



Bare with me as this is my first Youtube upload, and it is just a clip of the show.  I cut out the part where I sing how reading makes me want to shout, kick my heals up and shout! :)

10 comments:

  1. The video says it is private... would love to have seen that! Is it hard to do video announcements? Fun idea! Love the idea of the book talking segment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could access the video, Leigh Anne, don't know why Kathleen could not. What a big thing you've started. I loved seeing you and what you said. And I am impressed that you've started this. I imagine it's just extra work, but so valuable to everyone. Thanks for sharing. You know I "shout" about books all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of book! You are an inspiration to students and faculty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful - love the reason for reading kidlit, too - soul sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh Anne, what a great way to share your love of reading and books. Your video is a wonderful start to a new journey for you. Book Shout debut - great! Keep it up, Leigh Anne. I love that you want to create a culture of understanding. I like that you shouted it out. Kwame was one of our keynote presenters yesterday on Long Island. I wrote about it and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bravery for stepping out of your comfort zone to promote something you believe in. I'm sure you are building a wonderful reading community at your school. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to build the reading community at your school! I'd love to see a typical Book Shout you do...do you typically book talk 2 books at a time?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I love the book shout out idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "When we live literate lives, we grow literate lives." Thanks for your constant example. Does your student body know how lucky they are to have you, the Book Shout Lady?

    ReplyDelete