Saturday, March 4, 2017

Book Clubs ~ Celebrate 2017 (eight) #sol17


I believe being a writer is one of the biggest gifts you can give to your students. ~ Stacey Shubitz


This month I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for creating a space for me to share my corner of the world.




Today I am also combining my two worlds of writing 
by celebrating my week with Ruth Ayres.  

"Do we have to?"  

"You mean I have to read this whole book?  In four weeks?"

These are just a few of the moans and groans I heard when I told my students we would be starting book clubs this week.  Getting my students to read this year has been a challenge, and I can honestly say that I was not looking forward to beginning this newest endeavor in my classroom.

But then I remembered the comments my students told me last year AFTER we wrapped up book clubs, and I was committed to making this work.

By the end of the week I began to hear this in the halls.

"This book is awesome and I am only on page 27!" says the student reading Masterminds by Gordon Korman.

"I was on chapter four and it just sucked me in!" says the student reading Scar Island by Dan Gemeinhart

"I can't believe how much they are reading this week.  "D" who never reads during AP (our enrichment/intervention time) didn't take his eyes off his book today!" says the math teacher.

"Can I read past our assigned chapter?"  asks the student reading A Night Divided by Jennifer Nielsen.

Music to this reading teacher's ears.  Oh yes, book clubs work, and I am so glad that I didn't give up.

I know in a couple of weeks and after our final discussion days, my students will be celebrating too.  Celebrating the collaboration, the talk, the accomplishment and the fun of being in a book club!

15 comments:

  1. Hooking a a reluctant reader on a good book is always a great feeling! Book clubs cans be hard, especially when kids don't see themselves as reader. Way to stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my book clubs was really struggling getting along last week and this week one of them said she hoped they stayed with that group all year because now they really challenge each other in the best way. They are on their third book in as many weeks and yes, book clubs are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post makes me smile! Yes, you are reeling them in and showing them the love of reading! I can't wait to hear what they have to say in a few weeks. I am going to share your post with a fifth grade teacher in my building who is just starting book clubs too. She was feeling a little discouraged yesterday. Your post is going to brighten her day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Careful selection of books is critical to hooking those readers. It sounds like you have just the right books to do this. What a wonderful ending to the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love book studies, aka lit circles, in our classrooms in 3rd grade, too! Hooking them is like drinking a magic potion - and I love your students' and fellow teachers' comments about your success in doing so! Your book selection is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've thrown out that best "hook", great books! I love A Night Divided & just got Scar Island, looking forward to it. Enjoy your book clubs' enthusiasm & remember for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for book clubs! I love it when participants get excited and look forward to reading the picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just finished our third round of book clubs for the school year - always an exciting adventure, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great book choices makes for great book clubs. Looks like you hooked 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leigh Anne, the book club experience is helping your students understand the importance of lifelong reading. Congratulations on getting them all talking and engrossed in their books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You listened to the groans and quieted your own doubts with memories of prior success, and then you got to hear the joy when they fell in love with the great books you offered. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the titles you mentioned! Yes, your hard work and pushing through the hard parts will pay off!! Book love!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in the middle of book clubs too and yes, the rewards are truly fantastic! So worth it. Great choices in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So exciting! Readers grow so much in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have enough kids for book clubs, but I certainly see the advantages to having more students reading the same book. In my class, we pass books around. We talk about books all the time. You are doing such worthy work with your kiddos.

    ReplyDelete