Monday, March 6, 2017

Mom, It's Not Breathing ~ #sol17


I believe being a writer is one of the biggest gifts you can give to your students. ~ Stacey Shubitz


This month I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for creating a space for me to share my corner of the world.

Every once in awhile my daughter shows me how I have failed as her mother.  She isn't mean about it.  She isn't sarcastic about it.  She usually doesn't even know she does it.  She does it because she lacks "domestic knowledge" or knowledge about taking care of a house.  Important things like cooking and laundry and cleaning a toilet.  Things I always did for her because it was just easier to do them, than to teach them.  I sure do regret that now.

Although Megan is technically an adult, she still lives with us.  (Trying to save money on a teacher's salary is much easier when you live at home.)  One morning this week, she was standing at the ironing board and ironing her clothes for school.  (Yes, I did make her start doing that!)  "This iron isn't working," she announces.

"What do you mean it isn't working?  It worked fine yesterday when Ethan used it to iron some patches on his jacket."

"I don't know.  It just isn't working."

I walk over to her and look at it.  It's hot.  "Seems to be working fine to me."

"No, it's hot" she says, "but it's not breathing."

"It's not what?  What are you talking about?"

"Breathing.  You know caaaashhhhhhh."

"Oh, Megan.  That is called steam.  The iron must be out of water."  I shake my head in embarrassment but this time, I showed her how to fill it up.

Oh my....how I have failed.

7 comments:

  1. Such a funny little story. I've been amazed at the little things I didn't teach my children. Somehow they're doing pretty well as adults, despite my failures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh. If this is failing as a mother, I am going to need remedial classes myself... I don't even iron at all... so my kids are out of luck in that department! This reminds me of how many times my grandma tried to teach me how to fold a fitted sheet. I've watched you tube videos too... finally I have given up. I just squish them and roll them up and stuff them in a closet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh and remember when Kathy taught me how to iron my dress shirts. She had had surgery and couldn't iron for a while. Although I had a basic knowledge of hoe the iron worked I still had to learn how to iron a shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is too funny! We can't teach them everything ... and sometimes they are not ready to know it all! Megan was ready to learn more about ironing today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. It's not breathing! So glad you showed her how to fill it up. You have not failed, many young people don't even own an ironing board, but she knows how to iron and now she knows how to provide the breathing juice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wouldn't have happened if you'd gotten the manual on raising children. Oh wait, there is no manual. See it's not your fault. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made me laugh!
    I soooooooooooooo get what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete