Friday, March 31, 2017

Ode to Dandelion #sol17


I believe being a writer is one of the biggest gifts you can give to your students. ~ Stacey Shubitz


This month I am participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for creating a space for me to share my corner of the world.

Today is also Poetry Friday and Amy at The Poem Farm is hosting today.  Stop by and indulge yourself in a little poetry.



Today I am participating in Michelle Barnes' monthly challenge at Today's Little Ditty. This month Helen Frost has challenged us to write an ode poem, following these instructions:   
Choose an object (a seashell, a hairbrush, a bird nest, a rolling pin). It should not be anything symbolic (such as a doll, a wedding ring, or a flag). Write five lines about the object, using a different sense in each line (sight, sound, touch, taste, smell). Then ask the object a question, listen for its answer, and write the question, the answer, or both.
I found out Thursday that Crayola was retiring the color Dandelion. This announcement made me think about all the suns that will no longer be drawn in the corners of children's artwork, and I questioned, "Why this one?"  This question was perfect for my Ode to Dandelion.


Ode to Dandelion

Oh, Dandelion I see you standing proud in your box of 24.
Your back-to-school scent lingers in my backpack. 
My heart races and
a gasp escapes as I carefully pull you out.
The tip of my tongue licks my lips as I create my masterpiece of a corner sun.
Why, Crayola did you have to take away Dandelion?
Just to make room for a new one.

© 2017 Leigh Anne Eck


24 comments:

  1. I love everything about dandelions. To me they represent hope and simplicity and the brilliant yellow is my favorite color. Love your poem! So sad they are retiring the color. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the line about the corner sun- that brings it back to when I pulled these crayons out of the box of 24. Goodbye dandelion, you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this poem. You captured so much in such a short poem.
    Thank you also for introducing me to a new poetry format. I will tag this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! I also wrote a poem about Dandelion, but mine was a reflection on the end of the SOLSC. https://booksandbassets.wordpress.com/2017/03/31/dandelion-wishes/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great minds think alike! I also wrote a poem about Dandelion, but mine was a reflection on the end of the SOLSC. https://booksandbassets.wordpress.com/2017/03/31/dandelion-wishes/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad to think that Crayola could take away dandelion. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for remembering Dandelion. I love Crayolas. All the color names are so great. I hate to see any of them retired, but new ones are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leigh Anne, I love your poem. Thank you for your words - I love crayons & poems and I too was sad about Dandelion's retirement. So happy to connect to your blog via Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that the question came first to inspire this poem, Leigh Anne! Such a shame this poor crayon is being treated like a common weed. Thank goodness you were able to memorialize our dear Dandelion in a poem first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the end of an era! Poor Dandelion, whose namesake brings us such joy after a long, hard winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you suppose there's a rush to buy the 24 pack of crayons? I actually never knew there was a color called Dandelion, so I guess I won't be missing it. I love the scent you bring up in the poem. Inhale, all that waxy goodness of brilliant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dandelions totallly get a bad rap. Thank you for writing an ode to the crayon today. Why, Crayola?? And the corner sun. What a perfect perfect reminder. Oh, I would alternate the long and short rays. You gave us some memories back today. :) Happy Poetry Month! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, poor dandelion! I'm glad you immortalized him/her an ode!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alas, all good things come to an end. Dandelion, this challenge ... but I really don't believe ALL good things come to an end or there would be not be hope to keep us pressing on. You were a great part that for me in this challenge. Just wanted to thank you once more for being present, so intuitive, and so extraordinarily encouraging and inspiring in turn. Here's to pressing on to whatever lies beyond the corner sun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So creative!

    Thank you, Leigh Anne, for encouraging me. I was going to take a break from the month challenge this year, but I'm glad I didn't. It was a sweet month together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your ode to the dandelion crayon. I also love the real dandelions and enjoy their sprinkling of suns across or lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know someone who will love this, my bee-keeping friend. She reminds us that dandelions are often the first blooms that keep bees going until all the other flowers bloom. I'm glad you wrote, and you should send this to Crayola. They will appreciate it, even if they make the change. Wonderful, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your ode is timely and profound, Leigh Anne. I wonder what color Crayola will replace Dandelion with?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great inspiration for a poem! I wouldn't blame Dandelion for being upset, especially if a rival like Buttercup has won that place in the Crayola box.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very clever, Leigh Anne! "My heart races," too when I open a new box of crayons. How sad Dandelion won't be waiting there anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The scent of crayons takes me back. I learned about the dandelion crayon from a student yesterday. I want to share your ode with her. I like what Fran said about all good things having an end. The end helps us appreciate life, I think. I can't help but think of the book The Day the Crayons Quit. Happy Poetry Month!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Out with the old, in with the new. I love your farewell ode to our beloved dandelion!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is so sad to say goodbye to Dandelion. Thanks for commemorating the occasion with your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A beautiful ode to a commonly uncommon color. Long live dandelions (and bright suns in the corners of pages)!!

    ReplyDelete