Sunday, March 22, 2020

A Short Game Day #SOL20


A silver lining to the pandemic is the time families are spending together. I have read so many stories of parents and children taking walks together and talking. I mean really talking. Families are reading and writing together. Families are playing games and learning new things. 

My children were home one day this week. Megan is a teacher, and Ethan is a behavior coach who works with at-risk kids, so they are both working from home. Ethan lives an hour away and while he was home, they decided to play a game together.

"Do you want to play Mancala?" 

"Sure."

He goes and gets the game out of the closet and sets it up. He goes first.

"What are you doing? That's not how you play?"

"Yes, it is."

"Why did you take those?"

"Because you can do that when a spot is empty."

"No, you can't. I'm not playing anymore. You are making up the rules."

"No, I'm not."

I ask, "Are the rules in the box? Read them." Sounds like a logical thing to do when there is a disagreement over the rules.

He looks in the box and pulls out the rules. He takes a minute to read them and then puts the game away.

"Hmmm..." I think. "I wonder who was right?" I knew better than to ask.

And did I mention that my children are 27 and 23 years old?


Please join Two Writing Teachers and the annual Slice of Life March Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. LOL. My boys played Mancala when they were here for Christmas. They had the same conversation! They are 35 and 40!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am heartened to hear your kids still playing together at their adult age. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I’m glad you got to overhear this exchange, and that you share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this is so true: "A silver lining to the pandemic is the time families are spending together." Definitely a silver lining worth mentioning!

    I have Mancala too... I need to dig it out ot play with my children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids are kids no matter what age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would imagine the same thing would happen at our house. We played Battleship-lol! I won! Thanks for sharing an inside story on your kiddos.

    ReplyDelete