Saturday, March 14, 2020

Because We Still Need to Celebrate #SOL20




My friend Ruth Ayres used to do a weekly Saturday round-up that celebrated the small moments in our lives. Even among the chaos and uncertainty of the days ahead, we still need celebration. 

Today I share a few small celebrations from my week.

  • A former student who is now an 8th grader came to my room and asked if she could get a book. I love that students feel comfortable enough to come to me and know that I will share my books with them even when they are no longer my students. She left me a little note on my desk. 
  • The day before break we watched the movie of the book we finished this week. A student said, "Mrs. Eck you did a good job with the voices of the characters when you read parts of this."
  • I found out that I won a book giveaway on Twitter - perfect delivery time since I will have a little extra time to read.
  • We had early release yesterday, and I was able to come home and take a nap.
  • I found two new recipes I want to try this week. One of my commitments for the year was to try a new recipe a month, and this has not happened yet.
  • I was able to buy toilet paper this morning at the store - not because I am in a panic, but because we are in need!
I hope you manage to find some celebrations this weekend, no matter how small they may be.


Please join Two Writing Teachers and the annual Slice of Life March Challenge.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on toilet paper! I'm glad you're celebrating today. I was just thinking that I should commit to making a new recipe each week because I'd like to find some new dinners to add to the rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a much-needed focus: to count the celebrations, to show gratitude. I, too, am loving the possibility of naps ;-) In fact, I'm headed for one shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Ruth's celebration Saturdays. It was good to read your celebration. Let's keep looking for the positive nuggets in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of trying a new recipe a month. Sounds like something I should try. So many things to celebrate during these times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when I remember to stop and reflect on the "good" from the previous week...thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here’s something funny and it is really true... just before I started browsing slices, I was thinking that I miss Ruth’s slices. You remind me I miss the Saturday celebrations, too. Love the note from your student, and love your book sharing. So great for your students, past and present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding TP ANYWHERE is definitely cause for celebration these days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are FANTASTIC celebrations, Leigh Anne. My favorite is that you were able to take a nap.

    I miss Ruth's slices, too. She always shares such wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being able to read your slice is a celebration. As I read yours, I am reminded of my blessings. Thank you for taking the time to see the sliver linings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have toilet paper and food. I, too, have more time to read and write. I love that you were able to find some celebrations. I have jar for such things, but haven't been intentional with filling it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your celebrations and congrats on the TP! I hope your recipes are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your celebrations made me smile. Especially the one about the girl who returned to your room to borrow a book.

    ReplyDelete