Sunday, March 15, 2020

Rules for a Pencil Party #SOL20



One of my favorite things to do is to create poems from words and phrases found in magazines. They usually tell a story of some sort, which I think can become a slice. I cut words and phrases out of magazines and mailers, and I keep them in envelopes. I typically just place them on black paper so I can reuse the words. Occasionally I glue them in my notebook. 

Here is my newest creation.


Rules for a Pencil Party

Rules for a
pencil party

breathe deep
optimize imagination
dream in color

enjoy the satisfaction of making
something totally original

don't fear
the challenge of possibility

think outside the box
anytime, anywhere

finally
cue the drumroll:

celebrate 
wth confidence!


Please join Two Writing Teachers and the annual Slice of Life March Challenge.

12 comments:

  1. I love this! Could I share your post with my sixth graders? Some of them might like to try this? I know they will get bored over the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love doing this with students when we are studying found poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous found poem. Speaking of parties: will you host your annual virtual March party again this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just have to do that! Especially since everyone is at home - we all may need a virtual party!

      Delete
    2. Tweet it too, so I wouldn't miss it. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I love this creative idea! I need to start doing something like this. It's fun and so thought-provoking. Thank you for sharing- it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so creative! And I have stacks of magazines that I ought to do something with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love this!! I'm going to try this in my notebook one of these days. I always learn so much from you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was also going to ask the same question Terje did. Your parties are always a smashing success, Leigh Anne. Maybe we should bring a found poem among other goodies to the party. I plan on sharing your creative way to write a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I can imagine students as well as adults having fun finding words that say what they want them to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I bet my daughter would love to create these types of poems. I'll have to help her get started on collecting words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful poem! I have a box of words somewhere on my desk. I may need to create a poem later this month. "Celebrate with confidence" (6 feet apart)!

    ReplyDelete