Friday, March 13, 2015

SOLC #13 Edama-what?

The Slice of Life March Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

Today at lunch I tried something new to eat.  I am not very adventurous when it comes to new foods, and ctually I could be called a picky eater.

A colleague brought edamame.  I had seen this word before but I can honestly say I really had no idea what it was nor had I ever eaten it.  I watched her suck something out of what looked like pea pods.  When I asked what it was she told me, edamame. Well, I had no idea how to pronounce this food either.  But I tried it, and it wasn't too bad.

I learned that it was actually soy beans, a legume.  After googling it, I have learned much about this new food.  


Edamame is packed with fiber.  It has 9 grams which is equivalent to 4 pieces of whole wheat toast or 4 cups of steamed broccoli.  It has almost as much protein as it does carbohydrates.  Soy has many health benefits which include reducing cholesterol and protects against heart disease and osteoporosis.  

Eating edamame takes a lot of work because you don't eat the pods.  You place the pods in your mouth and squeeze or bite the beans out.  I can't say that edamame will become a regular food at my dinner table, but I am glad that I was adventurous today and tried something new.

7 comments:

  1. First I loved saying the word, then I found I actually love the food too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love edamame ! Even my kids do. They are great right out of the pot with a lot of coarse salt! It's a great savory snack. Now they are even making hummus out of edamame beans!! Glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you to take a food risk and be rewarded with knowledge. I like edamame and have heard it pronounced in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. And good for you for going out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a picky eater too. Not sure I would have tried it. I did try jicama at school but was not a fan of that either. Did I mention I was a picky eater. Good for you for being adventurous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried it in hummus form before. I like the taste -good for you that you tried something new! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of them before! Interesting!
    I'm not very adventurous!

    ReplyDelete