Saturday, March 28, 2015

SOLC #28 Celebrate Turn #9

The Slice of Life March Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers.


My slice today is serving double duty because I am also celebrating with Ruth Ayres.

Today I will be celebrating my nephew's 8th birthday.  Cris, my youngest sister, lives in Tennessee and this is the first time they have been able to come home since Christmas. 

B. is the youngest in our family, and it is hard to believe that he is growing up so fast. Because I am a teacher, it has been fun watching him learn to read and read the world around him.  B. uses his mom's iPad and sometimes he reads her text messages.  He and his reading skills pulled a fast one on my other sister, Janis, last week.  

My two favorite boys - my son and nephew.
Last week we were on spring break, and Janis, who is also a teacher, went to Tennessee to visit them. She had been texting back and forth with my sister about the plans.  Her last message said,

"Don't tell B."

My sister gets a message back that says,

"He knows."

Hmmm...guess who that message was from!

I am off to get hugs and birthday cake.  Have a great week and may you have many celebrations along the way.


16 comments:

  1. What a great slice! There is not much we can put over on kids today :-) Have fun celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the hugs and cakes! It's so funny that depending on our interests what we look for as the kids we know grow up. I guess if I were a foodie I would like to see how a kid's taste has evolved over the years. But like you I just like seeing how they are progressing with their reading and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danger zone when the kids take over the phone. No secrets allowed. Enjoy your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this surprise & imagine he loved it too! Happy Birthday to your nephew, & happy you all get to be together, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. ;) What a great celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun sense of humor! I love the pic of your two favorite boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture is so cute! What a quick thinker to have left such a clever response...so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a witty response. :) Here's to hugs and birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! It brings a whole new level to texting when those little ones start being able to read them.
    Love the picture - please tell me that was from last summer - they are so tan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a wonderful time with your family! Maybe one day you will get a wonderful surprise text from your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful boys! Hope your celebration was wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect way to celebrate with hugs and cake! The family love is overflowing! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great picture! I bet you had a fantastic celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great slice about a little boy who is in the know. The wonder of connectivity at such a young age...I wrote about connected learning today after attending a day long event on Long Island.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "learn to read and read the world around him" This is so well-put! That is exactly what he did--read the world around him and play along with it!

    ReplyDelete