Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Just a Little Note #SOL22

Each grading period we are asked to write three positive notes home to parents. We keep a spreadsheet marking who has received a card to ensure that we reach as many kids possible. This is one of those things that I always put off until the last minute, and I don't know why. It's not that I don't like to do it, but it is just one more thing on the never-ending teacher to-do list.

Tonight as I made my weekly trip to Wal-Mart, I saw a student walking in as I was going to check out. A center aisle separated us, but I made sure that she saw me and heard me say hello. As we passed each other, I saw her run up to her dad and say, "Dad, that's..." 

I didn't hear what she said because I was in a hurry to check out and beat the rain that was coming. As I walked up to my self-checkout, I turned around, and her dad was standing behind me.

"I'm sorry, but I just wanted to thank you for the kind words you wrote about Hannah."

"You are welcome. She is a gifted writer, and I enjoy reading her writing. I just wanted you to know how talented she is and how much I enjoy having her in class. I meant every word I wrote."

We finished our conversation, and I left with a smile on my face, joy in my heart, and another reminder of the power of our words.

Please join Two Writing Teachers and the annual Slice of Life March Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. I wrote notes to all of my students last year. I wish our school did something like that. Thank you for the reminder. I have plenty of time to do this before the end of the year. Words do matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful encounter. Parents so often hear when there is a problem. It is a welcome change to get an uplifting note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending positive words to parents is easy and means so much to them. I am happy you had a good teacher moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending our weekly notes to parents, is sometimes postponed because of time constraints, but the impact the notes have on parents and students is phenomenal!
    Sharing the message face to face is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of writing those positive notes to parents. It obviously meant so much to Hannah and her father. Your comment was really a gift to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing positive notes is something we should all do more often. You saw the results in that praise from the dad.

    ReplyDelete