Friday, March 23, 2018

Five Books I've Never Read #sol18

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we share a slice of life every single day in the month of March.

I like to call myself a reader. But my daughter jokingly proclaims that a person is not a true reader if he/she has not read Harry Potter.

Not that I have ever questioned myself as being a reader, I know I am one.  However, there are books I have not read, and I am almost embarrassed to admit it.  Today's slice is a list of five books (although there are many more that I could add) that I have not read and have no desire to read or a series that I have started and have no desire to finish.

Harry Potter - I read the first three books because of my daughter's proclamation. I have no desire to finish the series or to watch the movie. I am eternally grateful J. K. Rowling for writing these books because I believe she created a whole new generation of readers and brought back the love of reading for many who became aliterate. For me, Harry Potter has too much make-believe that I need to keep track of, and it became too much of a chore to keep it all straight.

Percy Jackson - I started the first book of this series three times before I was able to complete it.  Again, I read the first three and have no desire to pick it back up. I do not have enough background knowledge of mythology to understand all of the characters, and I wonder if that is problem for my readers too.

The Outsiders - Honestly, I don't even remember hearing about this book when I was a teenager. Our 7th graders read this as a whole class novel, but it is just not one that has grabbed me.

Anne of Green Gables - Many teachers list this book as one of their favorites, but I have not read this one. I think growing up, the length was a deterrent for me. This is one I think I could pick up as an adult reader.

1984 - We read many class novels when I was in high school, but this was not one of them. I know this has also had a recent resurgence and would be one that I could pick up.  But it would be low on my list, as I am not much of a classic reader either.

I am sure many more books are out there that I have not read and people would gasp and say, "You've not read that one?"  But I'm OK with that because I know I am a reader...despite what my daughter says!

14 comments:

  1. I must admit I've never read a Percy Jackson book either. I can also add The Outsiders and Anne of Green Gables too. In fact, it was not that long ago that I read To Kill a Mockingbird and The Secret Garden. There are a lot of Shakespeare that I have not read either, actually most of his work other than Romeo and Juliette. However, I did read a lot of French authors because my high school teacher required it. Loved The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, and Les Miserable. Yes, you are a reader, and me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got farther than I did with Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. I did read and love Anne and the movies. Haven’t read either 1984 or Outsiders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read one Percy Jackson and it was difficult for me to stick with it. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan (although I've only read them once). My daughter and her husband have both read them multiple times. He gets one of the illustrated books each year for Christmas. I think I would enjoy rereading it that way. I love Anne of Green Gables and I've never finished The Outsiders, although I've subbed in classrooms reading it numerous times since I retired. So I have a smattering of the book. Should read it someday. When I was teaching in Tulsa, OK, in the early 80s right after I got married, a colleague's parent's home was used for the movie. We loved hearing about what they did to their home to make it movie ready. And 1984? I don't think I've read it either. And we're both readers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a high school principal admonishing me to teach the classics and asking, "What will happen to our students in college if they've never read Moby Dick?" Absolutely nothing? (I've got a PhD in Literature, and I've made it this far without reading Moby Dick!) I enjoyed reading your list of books you haven't read--and you're right, there are definitely some surprises on this list! (I did manage one Percy Jackson novel,but that was far more than I needed. Glad they exist in the world, glad I can booktalk them, never want to read another one.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to read what people have read or not read. I have not read Percy Jackson or Moby Dick. I keep thinking I should. I did get as far as buying Moby Dick but still have not read it. I have not even thought about Percy - but glad all these books are in the world. Loved Harry but I think it is because I read it with my children and I enjoyed their love of this world. Thanks - this post has me thinking about what I have and have not read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your daughter is judging you! I would highly suggest Anne of Green Gables, at least the first one. She is a very special character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me it's The Series of Unfortunate Events. I made it to the 4th unfortunate event and couldn't go any further. I suppose Percy Jackson should be on my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A literary 'confession' - love it! It's refreshing to learn we're in good company. I haven't read every book in some popular series for lack of interest too. At times it seems good practice to but it doesn't always happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to see there are other readers who didn't finish the Harry Potter series. I think I only made it into the second book. I keep telling myself I will go back and read them. I read one Percy Jackson (I've read that one three years in a row because it's part of our sixth grade curriculum). And I've never read Ann of Green Gables either. I did read Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking that I need to try Harry Potter again because I have a whole house of dudes that have read it. Now my youngest is tackling it with his dad. I tried to keep up with my oldest as his reading took off, but I just couldn't do it. I would say that he reads like some kids use their phones. This means I haven't read Percy Jackson either... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could only get through the first 2 books of Harry Potter. I did however like Percy Jackson and was surprised. Tried 1984 this past summer but am not a classics person I guess. We are all readers and that’s the beauty of it. I tell my students that they won’t love every book and you keep searching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved reading this list, Leigh Anne. I think that it's a great reminder that you don't need to read a book just because it seems like you should. You should read a book and stick to it because you like it! My son loves all of the Percy Jackson books, but I have no desire to read them. I read the first three Harry Potter books, but then I was too busy in grad school and feel like I would have to start all over again...

    Last year I read Beloved for the first time. A friend suggested it to me. I loved it, but that was one that I was almost embarrassed to admit that I never read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we all have lists of books we haven't read and should not feel bad about those titles on our lists. I teach AP Lit and Comp and have gotten used to students who have read lots of books I have not. I started reading Harry Potter and got half-way through before abandoning the first book. I didn't pick those books up again until a couple years ago when I started reading them w/ my granddaughter. I read 1984 in high school because I was in the play version. I haven't read any Percy Jackson and don't intend to read them. Nor have I read Anne of Green Gables, and that's fine. I have read The Outsiders but prefer That Was Then, This is Now. Anyway, I love this post and might need to write a post listing books I've read that most teachers would scratch their heads over. 'Preciate the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not read 1984 nor the Outsiders either. One book that I've tried to read that a lot of people love is The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I've attempted three times and by chapter 4 every time I have to walk away. It just bores me. This post definitely gives me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete