Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Spring Cleaning My Attitude #sol18

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we share a slice of life every single day in the month of March.

Signs of spring are popping up in shades of green, yellow, and purple. The birds are beginning to greet me in the morning, and the days are getting longer.

This time of year also brings thoughts of purging, cleaning, and airing out. Yes, spring cleaning.

As I mopped my floors and sorted through piles this weekend, I realized that I needed to spring clean my attitude. This has been a difficult year of teaching. I have not built the relationships like I typically do. Their behaviors are challenging, and student (and maybe teacher) effort is lacking. My lessons seem flat, and my students are not as engaged as I would like for them to be.

I am tired.

The sad part is that I know exactly how many days of school I have left (40-just in case you want to know), and I am typically not a counter.

Yes, I need to spring clean my attitude.

I know I cannot continue on with this attitude for the remainder of the school year. I need change and that change has to begin with me. So with spring cleaning in mind, I hope to:

Air out the attitude. It starts with me, and I know that. Airing out my attitude will help me to focus on these next 40 days - not the past 140 days. 

Sweep out the negative. I need to make a commitment to myself to not get sucked into the negative attitudes of others. I know negativity breeds more negativity, and I must be strong enough to refuse to be a part of that. 

Polish the positive. I know my students have good qualities. I must take the time to sift through the challenges and find the good qualities in my students. After all, isn't polish suppose to bring out the shine?

Dust the lesson plans. Engaged students are better behaved students. Dusting lesson plans that do not lead to engagement and adding lessons that build creativity, curiosity, and critical thinking will help to make my classroom thrive again.

I have several days to put all of this into perspective and get my attitude in order. Maybe, just maybe, I'll "see the daffodils" and "hear the birds singing" in the hallways next Monday

with my sparkling clean attitude.


18 comments:

  1. What a great metaphor! This is a perfect reminder for my attitude as of late, as well. Thanks for your reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sparkling clean attitude - I love your spring cleaning metaphor. My favorite - polish the positive to bring out the shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This metaphor is a clean sweep! It’s true that we sometimes need to shake out the dust of stale thing and let the shine of fresh ideas come in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Leigh Anne, how I appreciate your honesty and your courageous voice. I have been in that attitudinal place (haven't we all?) and it can be difficult to turn that bus around. I love the metaphor and your willingness. Polish the positive! Great headlines there -- how will do that, I wonder (sometimes I make private reflection lists of things I love about what is happening in class and the progress I see kids making).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to you for wanting to make a change at this time. Many people would stay the course with only 40 days left. A good spring cleaning almost always yield a hapybattitude for me! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great plan and I'm also into the alliteration in "polish the positive" Have a great break! End the year refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh Ann, what an inspiring post. I think this is the time of year many of us can use a little spring cleaning. Spring break is the perfect time to reenergize. Your strategies are such good tips. When things get hard, it does seem the perfect time to polish the positive. This often includes finding the people who inspire me. I always like to try something new this time of year. It seems to reenergize the room. Additionally, it gives me a chance to work through something I want to change in the following year with a group I already know. I often tell the students what I am trying and ask them to help me to figure it out. Enjoy your opportunity to reenergize. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely. We could all use this reminder at this point in the year. I'll be working on polishing the positive for the rest of the week! I wish you continued rest on your spring break! It is well earned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tone is positive, hopeful and resolute. I could write a similar post about my school year. It started off so positive, but over time, I am easily triggered by the same few kiddos doing the same behaviors that derail us. I know what you say is true, I appreciate the reminder that the change has to start with me. I still think I need to start counting though...think that would help me stay calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love—and am choosing to also adopt—your positive attitude and plan for spring cleaning! I also have a very challenging class this year, and I plan to print out this post where it can keep reminding me over the next few months to focus on all the things I love about each of my students. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a vicious circle in teaching when the students' attitudes affect the teacher, then the teacher the kids, and on and on. That doesn't even take into account administration and district attitudes. Good luck with spring cleaning. More than that, you should realize that it's not personal. It's not you. Take a deep breath and dive in to the rest of your year. You will make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry it's been such a rough year this year, Leigh Anne. Your metaphor is glistening and I know that being the reflective teacher that you are, you'll make the most of those 40 precious days. The flip side is that your writing year, well that's just been "the bomb" as they say. So much to celebrate there. Your tribe is always with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We all have to "clean house" and refocus it is all part of the process. Love love love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We all have to "clean house" and refocus it is all part of the process. Love love love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that spring clean your attitude. A very clear and detailed slice! Did you feel better after you processed your life as your wrote it?
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, super jealous that you have green sprouts and warm air and birds singing while I'm looking outside at more SNOW!

    But besides, that . . . this was a refreshing Slice to read. I am a reflective person, and I think it is so valuable, especially as a teacher, to know and understand that what is happening in our classroom is a direct result of our actions as the adult.

    It sounds like you have a plan of action. I have no doubt your spring cleaning will spruce up your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea. I think I need to take our spring break and work on cleaning up my attitude for this school year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leigh Anne, what a thoughtful post. I think that many can relate to it! I have had those teaching years before and they drag on. Bravo to you for taking the step to make the most out of the last 40 days!

    ReplyDelete