Wednesday, March 7, 2018

What's on your happy list? #sol18


Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we share a slice of life every single day in the month of March.

I keep a draft in my blog file for slice ideas. Sometimes I remember where I got the idea or who inspired it.

and sometimes I don't - as in the case of this slice.

Do you notice those smalls things that make you happy?  I don't mean the blissfully content kind of happy.  But the little things that make you smile and tickle your heart.

Check out this video on keeping a happy list. (If nothing else, just listen to his voice; its mesmerizing.)


"What if happiness is the practice of the slow calligraphy of these small gestures?"

    Here is the beginning of my happy list.
  • all my socks matching in a load of laundry
  • waking up in the middle of the night and realizing I still have hours of sleep left
  • the sound of a book spine cracking for the first time
  • the smell of a book
  • a new box of crayons
  • stopping on an even dollar amount at the gas pump
  • grabbing a stack of papers to pass out and having the exact amount I needed
  • my grocery bill totaling an even amount
  • the smell of rain
  • just enough ketchup for my french fries
  • today's slice
  • meeting deadlines - see yesterday's post!

What would be on your happy list?  I think I will keep adding to this list as I think more about what makes me happy.

8 comments:

  1. That voice is so familiar! I cannot place the actor!

    Anyway, what a great slice of life! What's on my happy list:

    * this slice
    * my own slice
    * the smell of a book store
    * homemade cinnamon rolls
    * belly laughs
    * snowflakes

    Thank you for this thought provoking and "happy" slice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a post. I think we can all use a Happy list. Something to look at and make us smile when we need a little pick-me-up. I think my list would include having the check book balance the first time I check it against the bank sta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of making a list of things that make us happy. Years ago I tried to do a craft project with 100 things I love and 100 things that bug me. I never did get that list finished. Maybe it is time to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave me the idea for a slice poem, Leigh Anne. The man in the video had a calming voice that inspired me to write. Thanks, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smell of rain. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea for a slice. Some of mine: Watching kindergarteners laugh when I read aloud and there are words like belly button, or toes, or underwear. The way a middle schooler lights up when I ask him about his baseball team. My dog's entire body wagging when I ask her if she wants to go for a walk. A good hamburger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea for a slice. I love the video from beginning to end. The quote you noted is fabulous, but my favorite on his happy list is hands down "making a cat love drunk." I can relate to so many things on your list and am off to craft my own :) By the way, I'm pretty sure I remember Amy Warntz (Runner, Reader & Rockin Mom) writing something like this last year...could she have been the original source? Thanks, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading your happy list made me think about what makes me happy. There were so many things that I share on your list, including the smell of rain or a new box of crayons. I may be emulating this post soon!

    PS I just realized that your OLW is STEP! I cannot tell you how much I like that word.

    ReplyDelete