Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Like a Mom #sol18

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we share a slice of life every single day in the month of March.

I live in Indiana, and if you know anything about living in Indiana this time of year, then you know that it is basketball tournament time.  Basketball is king...or in my case queen.

My daughter and I were watching the girls state finals on TV a couple of weeks ago. The team who had beat them in the tournament was playing. We were both talking and commenting on the game. You know, the good plays and the bad moments and the players/teams we did or didn't like.

My daughter Megan and sister Janis
coached high school basketball together
for the first time this year.

She looked at me and said, "You watch basketball like a mom."

Thinking that I didn't hear her right, I asked her to repeat it.

"You watch basketball like a mom."

"What does that mean?"

She shook her head and said, "You just do."

Although I have never played basketball, it has been a huge part of my life and has been a connection between my daughter and my sister. 

I started adding up the years that I have watched girls basketball:

Megan - 10 years as a player
Megan -  7 years as a coach
Sister -    4 years as a player (played college ball but I didn't get to see many of those)
Sister -  10 years as a coach here in our hometown

Total years - 31 years collectively.

Yeah, I think I have earned the right to watch like a mom!

10 comments:

  1. "You watch like a mom!" Such an ear-catching comment, I wonder what she really did mean. My son played competitive basketball and I really miss those days. I probably watched like a mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would proudly wear this declaration. I too, don't play ball. But I will watch it like a polite, crazy mama. That must mean I watch like a mom too.. I wonder what my kids would say about my NCAA watching? If it's the same or different? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ask her to clarify how watching like a mom is different from the way she watches? I'd be curious to know the difference. You've got a lot of butt time on bleachers from watching basketball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered the same thing. I know that I do watch sports that I have played differently than those I just enjoy. I wonder if a mom watches for the players and feels for the players, and a coach would look at the team or the plays? In any case, keep on enjoying!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I think there is a special level of engagement and enthusiasm that comes with watching like a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh. I probably watch like a mom too,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay... I want to know what that "like a mom" means... I think you have another slice to write on this subject. Seriously, that's a wonderful compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that "like a mom" must be a complement, too! How awesome that you have this to connect with your daughter (and your sister) with! Those are some lucky ladies to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I wonder what she meant by that. Your post made me laugh. I would guess that our children think we do most things "like a mom."

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's certainly a compliment - at least from my perspective, but I too would like to know more!

    ReplyDelete