This is alarming.
This is scary.
This is so, so wrong.
As someone who is a literacy advocate and who promotes independent reading, I am confounded. I don't see how this (no matter how unscientific and unreliable the results may be) can be acceptable to any English teacher.
This survey led me to reflect on my own beliefs about independent reading and how those beliefs affect my students. It also makes me wonder where have all the readers gone?
- if we talk about books, students will read
- if we have well-stocked classroom libraries, students will read
- if we place independent reading at the center of our classrooms, students will read
- if we give students choice, students will read
- if we limit whole class novels, students will read
- if we make reading a social activity, students will read
- if we, as teachers, read what our students read, students will read