Thursday, March 8, 2018

I'd rather... #sol18

Join Two Writing Teachers and other teacher-writers as we share a slice of life every single day in the month of March.

The other day I read a post by Michelle Haseltine at One grateful Teacher about her love for mornings.  I am not a morning person, and her post inspired me to think about personal preferences.  

I'd rather stay up late than get up early.  I prefer to reflect on the day instead of anticipate a new one.  I like listening to the stillness of the night instead of the noisiness of the morning.  Although I do not sleep late, I am at my best at night.

I'd rather read a paper book than a digital book.  I prefer to turn the pages with my fingers and breathe in the smell of a new book. I like using my special bookmarks instead of a ribbon icon to mark my place. Buying books and organizing them on my shelves makes me smile.

I'd rather pile things up than put them away.  I prefer to be a "piler" and I admit it. Piling occurs in my home, my classroom, and even my desktop on my computer. But I can usually tell you which pile something is in.

I'd rather eat something salty than something sweet. I prefer chips and crunch as a snack. Now, I won't turn down a sweet offered to me, but I would typically reach for the chips.  

I'd rather slice in the morning than wait unil the evening.  I prefer to have my slices written the day before posting...although I AM a procrastinator.  Unfortunately, these past few days, that hasn't happened.

Thank you, Michelle, for inspiring this quick slice for today! Now, I am off to write my post for tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. What a great format! I am going to have to try this... A great way to get to know you too. :-) Earlier today, I would have said : I would rather read everyone else's slice than try to figure out what to write! :-) Great slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the staying up late, I'm with you on these. We are a lot alike. Although I write every day, most of my slices I write the night before (or at least a draft in my notebook) then I type them up and edit/revise in the morning because I know if I don't write in the morning, I'm going to procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome format that I must try this month. I’d rather be up at night, too. It’s so funny how so many of these things really do tell you a lot about someone! I cannot relate to morning people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great format! Except if I used it, I would be able to copy and paste yours! Stay up late, paper book, make piles, slice in the morning (and I also write the night before) — oh, wait. Sweet over salty for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, love this format too. I think I could come up with some new responses in different contexts. Like what are my "rathers" in parenting... or in teaching... or at a party... or when I'm sick...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always come up with great structures for slices, Leigh Anne! I can agree with many of your preferences, but I'm solidly in the morning person camp. Thanks for another idea to tuck away for a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm going to write off of Michelle's morning post (loved her photo post today as well) at some point this month, and I think I need to write off of your I'd rather piece too. I really like Marika's idea to focus on a particular are. I'm already thinking of my teaching "I'd rathers." Thank you both for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. Except, have you seen the Meme about the permanently exhausted pigeon? That is me. I'm not really my best at night or in the morning. I hit my stride at about 3 PM, especially if I've had a midday snooze. Which doesn't happen at all during school days... Thanks for sharing this format. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We may be twins! Salty snacks are my go too, except for gingersnaps. Late nights and early mornings are both okay with me depending on the day. Yesterday it was both for some reason. I'm thinking of doing something similar to your format soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love this idea for a post! I love knowing these little tidbits about you and I think that it is such an accessible way to write a slice. It makes me imagine how this could be used with student bloggers as well. I am with you on the paper books. There's just something about the feel of a real book in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally taking your idea. I like having my slices ready in the morning, but I cannot think past 9 o'clock. I love salty foods, especially chips which I am staying away from. I also don't like to read digitally, unless I find myself with time and no book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, this post idea is one I will definitely be borrowing - thank you for the idea! Secondly, we are quite in step with each other on many, but not all of these, Leigh Anne. Salty foods over sweets, yes. Piper - I am guilty as charged. Definitely prefer paper over digital books. But I am not a night person. I’m not exactly a morning person either. But given the choice, once I am actually out of bed, I think I operate better in the morning. That said though, so far I don’t find that slicing in the morning works best for me. I seem to like having the day to let my slice ruminate before I write it. Thanks for letting us get to know you better through this slice!

    ReplyDelete